Sunday 7 June 2009

Romantic roads

Last night, I spent 8 grueling hours driving back from Singapore to KL through a jam caused by an accident. I decided to exit the highway and take the old road. The problem is, I've never been on the old road.

I remember back when PLUS just meant tambah and I was a little munchkin and slightly thinner, that driving back to Singapore meant driving along these old roads. It was terribly romantic, as my father drove and I lay down in the back seat watching the trees go by.

The city child that I was, it never occurred to me that driving in a forest was scary or there was such a notion as ghosts. For me, driving at night through those ever winding roads, WAS travelling.

It was only recently that my mother tells me, it was my father's favourite pastime to drive along those curving paths. Unsurprising, since I have inherited his love. As I turned off the highway at Senawang last night, I smiled like a gleeful virgin on his wedding day as I contemplated the dark roads ahead.

I didn't know where I was heading, but the roadsigns that said "Kuala Lumpur" were good enough guidance for me.

I drove all the way through forest to Bangi, reconnected to the main highway and popped up an hour later at home.

Bliss it was.

Whiskers at the wheel.

2 comments: